I don’t know of anyone who doesn’t like ice cream. Especially in summer it is a must-have dessert after lunch and dinner or a little treat. My favourite ice cream flavours are and have always been chocolate and the flavours from Ben & Jerry’s. But since I stopped eating refined sugar and sweets, I was looking for a healthy alternative for my beloved chocolate ice cream. Actually the ice cream flavours from the supermarket and the ice cream shops are even too sweet for me now and don’t taste as good as they used to.
When I discovered the account of @frommybowl from Caitlin Shoemaker on Instagram, I fell in love all the vegan smoothie bowls and breakfast recipes she creates every day und shares with her huge fan community. Most of her breakfast recipes are based on frozen bananas, combined with other fruit and superfoods. In the health food scene, the ice cream made with frozen bananas is also known as nicecream. I love this ice cream because of its creamy consistency and natural sweetness. So what do you need to prepare it? Nothing but frozen bananas and a bit of liquid depending on how well your blender can blend frozen fruit.
Since discovering this yummy ice cream, I experimented a bit and created some recipes for smoothie bowls which are a little more fluid than nicecream: a recipe with red fruits and a tropical version. But my all-time favourite is chocolate nicecream. You only need two or three ingredients and toppings of your choice. The superfoods are only optional and the ice cream also tastes delicious without them.
Chocolate Nicecream with Vanilla Popcorn
1 frozen banana
3 teaspoons raw cacao powder
Some milk or milk alternative
Corn for popcorn
Blueberries or other berries
Superfoods (e.g. mulberries, cacao nibs)
- Slice the banana and freeze it at least twelve hours before preparing the nicecream.
- Heat the corn in a pan at medium heat and wait until all grains became popcorn.
- Moisten the popcorn with a little bit of water and spread the ground vanilla over the popcorn.
- Take the banana out of the freezer and blend it with the cacao powder and the milk or milk alternative until the nicecream becomes smooth. If your blender can’t blend the frozen banana, let the slices defrost a little bit or use more liquid.
- Pour the nicecream into a bowl and decorate it with toppings of your choice.