Those who followed me on Instagram for the past month, might know that I became a big fan of smoothie bowls. They’re a huge trend in social media right now. You only have to mix up different types of fruit, water, milk or milk alternatives, pour them in a bowl and decorate them. You can choose whatever topping you prefer: nuts, fruit, granola, rolled oats, cacao nibs, coconut flakes or even edible flowers. My personal all-time favourite is definitely the banana cacao peanut butter bowl.
After having posted so many pictures of my breakfast creations on Instagram, it’s time to share some recipes with you on the blog. Today I start with a summer smoothie bowl combining red fruit and bananas. When creating this recipe I wanted to make sure that you won’t need any expensive ingredients for the topping.
1 handful of strawberries
1 handful of cherries
1 frozen banana
naturally sweetened granola or rolled oats
- The evening before or at least 6 hours before you want to prepare your bowl, peel the banana, cut it into slices and freeze it.
- Wash the strawberries and cherries, cut the green off the strawberries and deseed the cherries.
- Put some fruit aside for the topping.
- Mix the rest of the fruit until it’s a creamy mixture.
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl and top it with strawberries, cherries, almonds and granola or rolled oats.
My inspiration sources are Caitlin Shoemaker’s creations and the post about smoothie bowls on Hannah Frey’s German blog „Projekt gesund leben“. I absolutely recommend reading this blog in case you’re looking for more information on healthy living and Clean Eating.
You might remember that I participated with my crunchy strawberry muffins with peanuts in the blog event Knuspersommer from the German food blog Knusperstübchen last summer. Now all food lovers have the opportunity to participate with their creative recipes in the Knuspersommer 2016 until the 31st of July. Since I really loved taking part in the last event, I’d like to participate with the red smoothie bowl recipe this year.