I love baking cookies! But not those with lots of butter and sugar. Instead I prefer the healthier options. And baking cookies is even more fun when you use different cookie cutters according to the season.
At Easter I used to give my friends and family selfmade chocolates as a present, but this year I decided to try something new to surprise them. As my basis I used a healthy and simple cookie recipe from the German blog „A lovely Journey“, which I already baked for Christmas.
This time I wanted to replace the butter partly with selfmade nut butter and I was already thinking quite a while about preparing pistachio butter. It actually takes a while to produce it since you have to peal each single nut. But it was definitely worth it. To give the cookies a fruity flavour, I used dried cranberries and cranberry juice.
Pistachio Cranberry Cookies
Serves: 20 cookies
125 – 150 g pistachios, roasted and unsalted
150 g spelt flour
2 tablespoons natural baking powder
20 g butter
40 g pistachio butter
50 g dried cranberries
1 tablespoons ground pistachios
30 – 50 g chopped pistachios
60 – 70 ml cranberry juice
- Peal the pistachios and take off the dark skin.
- Mix them for a few seconds in a blender.
- Take off one tablespoon of chopped pistachios and blend the rest until the pistachio butter is very smooth.
- Turn off the blender from time to time and use a spatula to take the pistachio butter off the walls of the blender. You have to be very patient and mix quite a while until the nut butter is perfect.
- Heat up the oven to 180 ° Celsius.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, soft butter and the nut butter well.
- Chop the dried cranberries and add them together with the ground and chopped pistachios to the dough. Keep some pistachios and cranberries for the decoration.
- Knead the dough well and roll it out.
- Cut cookies with the cookie cutters and put them on a baking tray. Now put some pistachios and cranberries on top and press them into the dough.
- Bake the cookies for 5 minutes at 180 ° Celsius, let them then cook for 5 to 10 minutes, according to their size, at 150 ° Celsius.
Because of the green pistachio butter and the red cranberries and cranberry juice the cookies have a wonderful colour combination that is perfect for spring and Easter. You can also use bunnies, flowers and eggs as cookie cutters. Of course you can use any type of cookie cutter you prefer and bake these cookies all year round.